Sunday, September 16, 2007

Street Fair

Yesterday, my husband and I spent the afternoon with my parents at our hometown's annual street fair. It was a beautiful day and the sights and smells were pleasing. I love events like this - they make our our little city seem just a little bit bigger and a lot more diverse.

While all the booths are fun to see and browse, the ones that got my whole-hearted attention were the ones that involved photography. One booth, however, really stood out from the rest. This particular photographer is a teacher who spends his summers traveling around the state taking photos. His work was beautiful and he covers those subjects that I enjoy photographing the most - North Dakota scenery. Yet again, I was inspired by another photographer (this has been happening quite a bit lately). Not only was I inspired, but I realized that I could be doing the same thing this man is doing. I could travel the state every summer and spend my time in a place I love, doing one of the things I love most. I am going to get started next summer!

My sister also had a booth set-up, selling her handmade clothing and jewelry. She had a good time being involved with this fair and I think she's excited to do it again next year. (Perhaps I will have photos to sell and she'll be nice enough to let me in on her booth!) While visiting with my sister, my dad and I enjoyed one of our favorite fair treats - cheese curds. You can't go wrong with fried cheese. One of my dad's favorite sayings is "And they don't even charge extra for the grease!" I wonder where I get my love for unhealthy, heart-clogging foods from.

After the wonderful day at the street fair, my family joined my husband's family for a spaghetti dinner and a game of Mexican Train Dominoes. It was a fun evening and I can't wait to come back in a month and spend more time with everyone.

2 comments:

Girl of Approval said...

The only thing I ever wind up seeing at the Street Fair is food.

And I get nervous about what I'll like or what will make me sick so I wind up eating nothing sometimes. Oy.

I would have liked to have seen your sister's booth.

teacherwoman said...

D.P. is quite the photographer. I met him when I was teaching in Larimore. Nice guy!