Thursday, September 20, 2007

Photo Club

A friend and I were supposed to venture out today and take some photos after work, however, the weather is refusing to cooperate with its wind and rain. I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't get to go, as I was very much looking forward to the outing.

In high school I was in photo club. We went out weekly to different locations and had access to the school's darkroom to develop and print. It was a wonderful experience, one that makes me a little sad that everything has become so digital. In college, a group of friends and I made our own 'photo club' and went out a couple times a month around the city to play with our cameras and goof around together. It was a lot of fun and a great break from studying.

It has been a couple of years now since college and our little group has drifted to different parts of the country. We still talk occasionally and have access to one anothers photos through My Space and the like, but it's just not the same. I miss being around people with whom I could share this wonderful, beautiful hobby. I miss the excitement of everyone being together, enjoying the weather and scenery no matter where we were or how cold we might be. I miss sharing my photos and seeing the shots that each of my friends got. I miss having the constant inspiration, that special energy I felt every time I was out with these people.

When my husband and I settle down for good somewhere, I need to find people to go out and shoot with on a regular basis. Life just doesn't feel complete without a photo club.

3 comments:

teacherwoman said...

I love taking photos and I find my eye noticiting things in my surrounding that would look wonderful through the lens of a camera; but I am not the photographer you are. Even though I haven't really seen much of your photos, I know that you are a great photographer... I would love to see more!... Especially with the changes of seasons and colors!

Girl of Approval said...

I am sad about photo club today too.

I sort of enjoy the solitude of taking photos... it's a relaxing, almost spiritual feeling for me. Which is not to say that I don't love going out and snapping photos with others.

Anna said...

Hey! I am back! I am glad that you have been out shooting! Some of my best pics have been within 10 minutes of my home....start there! :) It is always a great challenge to find things that are close.

Hope you had a good weekend!