Thursday, September 13, 2007

New York City to Boston

Today was the first day I've given homework detention. I've made some exceptions up until this point, but not anymore. It's the third week of school and the kids know what is expected of them. The seventh-graders I have are getting somewhat frustrating. They seem to think that they do not need to do their work or that they can turn it in late without any penalty. I've lectured several of them individually and as a whole more than once. I'm not sure what they don't understand, but I have a feeling I'm going to have many more days of homework detention ahead of me until I get the point across. I wish someone could tell me what exactly my students hear when I talk to them!

In other news:
  • The woman who was a contestant on "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader?" tonight obviously didn't have any sort of deductive reasoning skills. The question went something like "Charles Lindbergh made a transatlantic flight from New York to what other city?" She guessed Boston. Did she not see the key word: transatlantic? What did she think that meant? And why would Charles Lindbergh be famous for flying from New York City to Boston?
  • Of the 1300 songs my husband and I have downloaded, we only have 400 of in our "mutual" folder on the iPod for car trips. Majority of those 1300 songs are my husband's and the majority are crap. "Rocky" soundtrack anyone? How about Adam Sandler? My husband doesn't always make the best choices.
  • Why is it that one day you can love all your clothes and the thought of having to part with any piece is horrifying and then when it comes time to pack for a weekend away or a vacation you hate everything you have? Where exactly do the fun clothes go?

1 comment:

Girl of Approval said...

Jay Leno's Jaywalking also makes me fear the "average" American. It's Tragic what people don't know. And yes, that's with a capital "T."

By the time the weekend hits, my cute clothes are dirty since I wore them to work during the week.