Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dreams and Licorice

Last night I came to the realization that I only have 17 more days of summer vacation (yes, I know you all feel so very sorry for me). After seeing such a small number, panic set in - racing heart, sweaty palms, and hyperventilation. It's not that I don't want to go back to work, but the idea of starting over again (especially at a new school) is less than appealing. As a student, I always loved the beginning of the new school year; the new start was inspiring (especially the new school supplies!). As a teacher, however, I hate that new start. It inspires nothing in me but anxiety (although I still love buying new school supplies!). My favorite time of the year is when everyone is settled in and comfortable with the class and each other. If I could skip the first couple of weeks of classes, I would throw a celebration to rival New Year's Eve in Times Square. As always, I'll survive and come mid-September I will be a happy camper.

Not surprisingly, one of my dreams last night centered around the first day of school. This was my third, 'first-day' dream and I don't doubt there will be many more as that 17 falls closer to 0. I do have to say, however, that the dreams are getting better as they go along so if that trend continues, I won't mind much. In my first dream, I ran around the school trying to find my classroom. I can honestly say that I'm not worried about that one happening. In my second dream, I refused to interact with the students. I simply introduced myself then sat down at my desk and there was no talking for the remainder of the class period. I can honestly say I'm not worried about this one happening either. Crazy as it may sound, I don't like a quiet classroom. Plus, I have found so many first-day activities that there should be no reason for me or my students to have to count down the time until the bell rings. My dream last night combined and improved on both the first and second dreams. I was late getting into my room, but I found it which was the important thing. From the minute I stepped in the door, I began interacting with my students. I think my subconscious took it a little far, though, because I was way too funny (math teachers aren't funny!) and the students were enjoying my class way too much (no one likes math!). All in all, it was a good way to end a night that had started out a little rocky.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note, I had to share a photo of the bag of licorice my parents brought back from Hershey's Chocolate World in Hershey, Pennsylvania. I love when things are made much bigger or much smaller than the original. It makes life fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

17 days left? That's it!?

Oi! Summer goes by to fast.

I hope that you have a fabulous first week at school.

Eloise said...

I used to teach school (and was a math major) and can totally relate to your feelings about back-to-school time. It's so great once you know all the students' names and personalities and they know your routines and expectations, but getting there can sometimes be a bit torturous.

Good luck with the new school. Enjoy what's left of your summer!

teacherwoman said...

I can't believe the start is almost here again. We start up with the kiddos on the 25th. Definitely later than you guys. But, we also don't get out until the beginning of the June. Enjoy the next couple of weeks!