Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quiet

I am a quiet person by nature. I have always been quiet and I'm quite certain I will always be quiet. For the greater part of my life I agonized over the lack of words I shared with others. I belittled myself for not contributing in any way or for not contributing adequately to the conversations surrounding me. Life was distressing.

I have come to accept the fact that I am my father's daughter, a girl of few words. I refuse to go back to the place where I tried to be something other than me. It no longer troubles me that I don't join each and every conversation I hear or that I don't say more during my encounters. I'm content with my quietness and hope that some day others will be, too.

I've never understood why people have such a difficult time accepting silence. I've never understood why quietude is viewed as a shortcoming rather than another trait like eye or hair color. I've never understood why those who speak little must defend their lack of involvement. Perhaps I will never understand these things as others will never understand me. All I know is that I talk enough for me and that's what matters.

"Silence is also speech."
~Proverb~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohmygosh!! You have completely described me to a tee right down to being my father's daughter.

My father and I also have a hard time telling people how we feel.

wow! crazyness

:)

Unknown said...

at least you dont have to eat your words. it took me a long time to overcome the urge to open my mouth wherever and whenever. i have come to greatly respect poeple who only speak when it is necessary.

teacherwoman said...

Great post! Yes, growing up we were both very quiet, and even though we have drifted, I see that you are still a quiet person. NOTHING is wrong with that. That is just part of who you are.

However, I have become quite loud and obnoxious with my laughter at times. crazy how that happened.

Liz Harrell said...

Good for you. I'm married to a quiet person, and I love him for it. Just think if everyone in the world blabbed as much as some of us... still waters run deep. :)

Kerri Farley said...

I think being a quiet person is quite a gift! Some of us talk WAY too much!

Great post!