Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fourth Festivities

The fourth of July has never really seemed like a real holiday to me. Perhaps it was because of the many years that friends and family didn't do much because they had to go back to work the next day. This year, however, the day felt like a special occasion and it was great. I think the fourth should fall on a Friday every year.

The festivities began with a parade and art in the park. My husband decided to scope out the doll toys (he can't wait to have a house full of girls!) while my mom bought her usual bag of kettle corn (she goes nuts for the stuff!).


On our bike ride home from the park, we came upon three horses near the trail. I think horses are beautiful, but that doesn't mean I'm any less scared of them. "The Horse Whisperer" scarred me at a young age so I now think every horse is crazy. While my husband fearlessly petted these lovely creatures, I stood back and admired from what I felt was a safe distance.

Later that afternoon, my family joined my husband's family for dinner and games. We ate the delicious staples of a backyard barbecue: brats and chicken, baked beans and chips. We played beanbag toss, took a United States quiz, and learned a few things during 'The Newlywed Game.' My husband's grandparents, who have been married 50+ years finished last; my husband and I, who have been married 11 months, took home the trophy. My guess is this game is best for those closest to the start of their relationship. That, or the other groups didn't study as hard.


The night ended with the city's annual fireworks display. Fireworks are my favorite part of this holiday and are the perfect way to end a celebration.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tyler and I took second place at the Newlywed Game when we played at a friend's birthday party. It was a lot of fun! We went to Art in the Park too, I am a sucker for mini donuts. :)

Amanda Jo said...

What a fun weekend!! I think its cute that your hubby was checkin out the dolls! My husband David also wants a house full of girls!!

Congratulations on your trophy!

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a great weekend you had! That's awesome!

Mrs. Fox said...

Looks like an all around great day. Kettle corn is so delicious! And the horses are pretty. My hubby has to remind me to be wary of animals. I haven't the sense to be afraid of them. :)

Kerri Farley said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the holiday!!