Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Weekend Events

FRIDAY

Friday evening, my husband and I put on our cowboy hats and boots and went to see some professional bull riding. Okay, maybe we didn't don any cowboy apparel, but we did join a lot of people who had.

I have never been to any type of "cowboy event," so the night's happenings were all new to me. Before the riding, even before the National Anthem, a prayer was said for the riders. This was the first sporting event I've ever been to in which the audience prayed for the participants and I was touched. Our prayers were heard and none of the riders were seriously injured. The evening contained a lot of excitement and I'm looking forward to going again. Perhaps I'll expand my horizons and attend a full-blown rodeo.

SATURDAY

On Saturday afternoon, my husband and I joined my in-laws for a day at the zoo. We may not have any exotic animals but it's still a lot of fun. I cannot wait to go next year - a butterfly house will be opened!







SUNDAY

Sunday afternoon I had a little muffin mishap. Feeling like Suzy Homemaker, I happily headed to the kitchen to use up our remaining bananas in muffins. I was so excited about baking that I would have whistled had I known how (and I hate the sound of whistling!). My good mood did not last for long.

I followed the recipe, but when my batter turned out as runny as water and not lumpy like the recipe described, I thought this might be a bad sign. Ignoring the omen, I poured the mixture into muffin cups anyway and placed the pan in the oven. Halfway through baking, with the smell of delicious muffins in the air, I turned the light on in the oven and saw this. I'm not completely sure what happened (I baffled the other bakers in the house as well) but we did not have any of my banana muffins that evening. I won't be volunteering for any bake sales any time soon.

3 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

OH My! So sorry about the muffins!

I adore the shot of you and your hubby in the "cut out". How FUN!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh a muffin mishap. Yeah, I have no idea what happened there either.

We will be going to the Minot zoo in a couple weeks because they have more exotic animals such as zebras and giraffes!

teacherwoman said...

I remember my first bull riding event. I went with my Dad and thought it was so much fun! Plus, I had always wanted to go. Did you know that they also do a cowboy mass on Sunday morning?