Tuesday, July 22, 2008

125th Anniversary and Shakespeare

Despite all the sweating and the sunburned skin, my husband and I had another fun July weekend.

SATURDAY
My husband and I headed to the 125th Anniversary celebration for the town in which I will be teaching in the fall. We didn't know anyone there but that allowed me to scope out the crowds, particularly the high-school kids. Of course this didn't make me nervous about the upcoming school year (yeah, right). I already miss my small, scared 7th-graders!

The day's festivities began with a parade that featured horses, tractors, tractors, tractors, horses, and tractors. Did I mention they had tractors? While I wasn't able to score any candy at the parade (we sat by a 5-year old who hasn't learned about sharing yet - even if the candy was already in the hands of someone else) my husband and I each got a small tube of toothpaste. Not quite as fun as the gum I wanted, but much more practical.

After the parade I showed my husband around my future school and then we headed to the bed races. I think I'm going to join next year as the bed rider. Any volunteers for pushers?

After the bed races, we watched the calf bottle relay. The relay involved one teammate running with a sponge, filling it with water from a bucket at one end of the course then emptying it into a calf bottle at the other end of the course with the help of their partner. Whoever filled their bottle and put the nipple back on first won.

After the calf bottle relay, my husband and I watched the cow chip throwing competition. Yes, that's right - people were throwing dried up cow poop and their partners were catching as many chunks as they could in buckets. I would say "only in North Dakota" but after looking into the activity, I discovered that there are many other states that participate in this past time. I guess we're not the only crazies.


SUNDAY
My husband, my sister, and I visited a local park to watch a production of William Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night." The actors and actresses were great and the crowd was enthusiastic. It's always nice to see people enjoying activities like this around the city.



I know this is late but I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My husband and I headed to the 125th Anniversary celebration for the town in which I will be teaching in the fall. "

I am new to this blog so forgive me for asking, what do you teach?

teacherwoman said...

I am sure you saw some of my relatives out and about and didn't even realize it! hehehe. You will probably have a couple of my cousins this fall... they are going to be juniors... if you are teaching any juniors. I have another one that is going to be a senior..

Mrs. Fox said...

Cow poop and Shakespeare. Let's hope no one ever puts the two together. Could be rather difficult on the actors. :)