Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Toilet Paper and a SmartBoard

Today I began looking for "first day of school activities" for next year. I know, I know - this school year isn't even over yet and I'm making plans for next year? What can I say - I like to be prepared! In any case, I found a humorous activity that I'm definitely going to be using.

At the start of class, the teacher passes out a roll or two of toilet paper. He or she says "take as much as you think you'll need" and remains quiet when any questions are asked. Once the students have taken what they think they'll need, the teacher tells them that for each square they ripped off, they have to give one fact about themselves.

I think this will be a great activity for me, especially considering I will be the "new student." I will be teaching in a small town where these kids have had each other in their classes for their entire school career. They know everything about each other but I will know next to nothing. I'm excited to try this out and see how it goes. Now I have to practice saying "take as much as you think you'll need" without laughing!

In other news, school got out early today so that the teachers could attend a short SmartBoard demonstration. For those of you who do not know what a SmartBoard is, it's described as an "interactive whiteboard." It combines a marker board, computer, and touch screen all in one. I can't even begin to describe this piece of technology or all the things it is capable of doing. All I know is that the things that can be done with it for math classes are incredible and I'm hoping, hoping, hoping, that my new school will get me one like they said they were going to. Math class could actually be fun! *GASP*

2 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

OH I LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea about the toilet paper! That will be so much fun!

And please don't think it weird for me to commment on this.....but I think the shot you took of the toilet paper is ouststanding :)

Brianna said...

I love your clever TP activity! I'm a new teacher, and I will definitely be using that tomorrow on my first day. :) Thank you!