Thursday, August 21, 2008

Days 2 and 3

Yesterday was another professional development day and it was a very good day. We had an informational meeting with the insurance guy, a demonstration on how to use the new copier machine, and training on the new online grading system our school will be using. The little bit of down time we had was spent preparing our rooms for today. My desk and shelves are still completely unorganized (the last math teacher left a lot of crap behind!) and my walls are absolutely bare (I completely forgot about decorating a room because I was never able to at my old school!), but things will slowly come together. I got to talk more with the other teachers yesterday and they are going to be fabulous people to work with. I'm loving them all already.

Today was our first day of school with the students. Overall, I'd have to say the day went pretty well. I was a nervous wreck on my drive out to the school (why as a shy person did I choose teaching?!), but after the first several minutes of my first class I calmed down and things went pretty smoothly the rest of the day. Unlike my dream where I didn't interact with my students, I had an activity or two for every class. The favorite of the day seemed to be the 25-question "test" I gave the students about me. Needless to say everyone failed, but that was the point. It's hard to answer 25 questions about someone just by looking at them. The kids seemed to have a lot of fun guessing and it was a lot of fun for me to hear some of the answers they came up with. I think I'm going to have a great bunch of kids this year.

Every year while growing up, my parents took a picture of my sister and me on our first day of school. We would strap on our backpacks and pretend to be walk out the door. As you can see, I'm still participating in this tradition. My mom makes me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

cute pic, but i want to see the oldies, lets see, say, 2nd grade.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things are going well.

I miss your posts!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh cute!! Glad you are keeping the tradition!!