Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day

When we were younger, my sister and I always gave out May Day baskets to our neighbors and friends. While I could always handle the assembly, delivery, and doorbell ringing, for some reason I could never get away. It's not that I ever got caught. No, that was never my problem. My trouble arose with my feet and its relationship to the ground. Every year after the doorbell ringing, on my mad dash back to our house, I would fall and hurt myself. There were quite a few skinned knees and lots of crying. My mom still laughs at me for it. Let's just say I don't participate in the days festivities anymore.

I received a sweet little May Day basket from one of my students today. It was quite a nice surprise. Secondary teachers don't receive many gifts or treats from our students (I don't think we're as lovable as those wonderful elementary teachers) so when we do get something we feel really special. In any case, my student definitely knew what to put in the basket to please me - bubblegum and chocolate!

On an unrelated note: while standing in front of the room at the board this afternoon, one of my male students (out of nowhere) says "Mrs. W., I like you sleeves. They're puffy." We all had a good laugh.

Happy May Day everyone!

3 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, how nice to get a treat from a student!! And I can tell it brought back some fun and somewhat painful memories :)

Liz Harrell said...

Look how cute you are! Great shirt.

Anonymous said...

Those are two funny stories!! Love your shirt!