Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bogeyman

When I lived at home with my parents, there was a man who lived under our stairs in the basement. You wouldn't know he was there; he didn't make a peep or disturb anyone. In fact, I think the only person he picked on was me and even I was safe while the lights were on. I could, however, feel him watching - he eyed every move and waited. He waited for the lights to go out so his fun could begin. See, when the lights went out, he got to chase me. Up two flights of steps we would go, the race ending once I made it into the living room. The man could not venture into the living room so I knew that if I made it there, I was safe. I was never caught, but there were too many close calls.

The man has found out where I currently live and has now snuck into my apartment. There are no stairs for him to hide under, so he's made a home in our storage closet. I know I'm safe during the daylight hours and when my husband is home. At night, however, the rules are different. At night, I can feel him watching me through the crack in the door. He's watching and waiting. He's waiting for me to slide open the door for a game of cat and mouse like we used to play. I do not know what room in the apartment has the power of "safe zone," so I'm making sure to keep the door closed as tightly as possible.

I guess some of us will always be scared of the dark and the bogeyman that lurks within.

3 comments:

teacherwoman said...

That's a cool night light! I don't like the boogyman either!

Liz Harrell said...

Whoa, ok, I've got to admit. This freaks me out. :)

Kerri Farley said...

EEEK! Scary post!!

I used to be scared a lot of being at home alone, of the dark etc.
But after I had kids....that kind of went away. I felt I had to be the strong one/protector etc.

I am not easily scared now.