Thursday, August 23, 2007

Workshop Days

The first two days back at school have gone well. While I learned nothing from the workshop yesterday - nor did any of the other teachers and the principal even admitted it was a waste of time - today's speaker wasn't too bad and the curriculum mapping (online lesson-planning) program she introduced us to was interesting. It was easy to learn how to use and I won't have any problems getting my class information entered in by January. In fact, I have a feeling I will be helping the gym teacher (whom I share a room with) quite a bit with his classes as he can barely use a mouse!

Today I also got to spend time with the other math teacher. He is so much fun and a great resource to have around. I'm very lucky to have a person like him at my school and even more lucky that he is in my discipline. Although I'm the same age as his daughters, he treats me like an adult and a professional which makes me feel more confident in my abilities. Visiting with the other teachers today put my nerves at ease and I'm feeling much more comfortable than I was even yesterday.

I have a very good feeling about my second year. I no longer have that feeling of dread I had a couple of days ago. I feel calm (even a little excited) and ready to get started. It will be fun to meet my new students and to welcome back the old (hopefully some of them matured a little over the summer). I am also getting more involved which will probably make things more fun. My husband has been coaching football at my school the past several weeks so now I really don't have an excuse to skip the games (I hate football!). I volunteered to take tickets for the first half of the games and then the second half I plan to entertain myself with my camera, playing with the settings in hopes of getting a good action shot. I will also be yearbook and prom advisor this year. The teacher who worked on the yearbook the last ten years decided she had done it long enough, so I volunteered to take over. I thought it might be something I'd like to do and I'm looking forward to getting started on that. Should be interesting! Last year I was prom advisor and the principal wants me to do it again this year, so I agreed. No one else wants to do it and it's kind of fun getting caught up in the magic of it all. Although, it does make me feel a little old. It's hard staying up that late!

Needless to say I'm going to have a busy year, but it's going to be a good year. Two is my number, after all.

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

Congrats on your wedding... and good luck starting out the new school year!