Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Insomnia

I've been having a tough go of it lately. This past month has done a number on me, to say the least.

Insomnia runs in my family. My paternal grandmother has difficulties sleeping and she passed it down to my father who passed it down to me. Why couldn't I have inherited one of their good genes like patience? In any case, my sleeping problems usually go in spurts and I haven't had a bad spell in quite some time, my most recent beginning about a month ago. While my main problem is normally the falling asleep bit (it has taken me several hours before), my problem now is the staying asleep event. I have never been talented at sleeping through an entire night - I didn't find out until my college years that it's not normal to wake up every time you move into a different position - but lately it's been exceptionally bad. As a last resort, I bought sleeping pills. Unfortunately those pretty blue pills have not helped. I don't consume caffeine - coffee has never been a drink I cared for and I gave up pop several years ago - so I'm running on empty. I'm honestly at my wits end. It's no longer just my eyes that are heavy, but my entire body. I feel as if I'm moving in slow motion and my mind is fighting daily to find a way through the thick fog that has settled in around it. I fear I may soon start looking as crazy as I'm feeling.

Something has got to give.

2 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I am sorry about your insomnia! I remember when the kids were little I got very few nights of uninterrupted sleep....that is VERY hard to deal with over a period of time.

I do hope you find something that will help!!

Liz Harrell said...

Oh, you are in my prayers. I never had insomnia problems until a few years ago (when life got really stressful). I wake up in the middle of the night quite often, usually exactly at 3:00. Sometimes I just go head and get up for the day. Last night I slept straight through... I forgot how wonderful it is. Hope good sleep finds you soon.