Sunday, April 6, 2008

Surprises and Side-Splitting Laughter

This weekend will forever stand out in my mind. Not only was it a fun weekend spent with family, but a weekend that changed the course of life for my husband and me.

THURSDAY
After work, my husband and I headed back home. The night consisted of our usual Big Boy dinner and then a few short hours of visiting with family. My mom gave my husband and me our Easter basket that we were unable to get over the holiday weekend. I received a sweater and my husband got candy. Lucky for him, he has a wonderful wife that was willing to help him eat some of the sweets. Lucky for me, I have a wonderful husband who shares whether he wants to or not.

FRIDAY
My husband and I spent the early part of the day running errands and then later we relaxed with several games of 'Sorry' and fresh, warm cookies my mom baked for us. In the late afternoon, my husband and I went to "help a friend move." At least that is what we told our parents. While this friend is moving, she was not doing it this weekend and her home was not where we headed. The event we were sneaking away to, the real reason for our visit home, was an interview I had for a teaching position in a town 30 miles from my hometown. At 5:00, instead of packing up items and moving boxes, I was walking around a small town's high school with the principal. After my tour, I was put in the "hot seat" for question and answer time with the superintendent, principal, and three school board members. Apparently the interview went better than I thought because I was offered the job on the spot. The contract was typed up then and there and I signed it before leaving town. I couldn't believe how fast everything had happened and I don't think the smile left my face on the trip back home.

My husband and I always knew we wanted to settle down in our hometown - the city is beautiful and being close to family is very important to us. We decided that if one of us could get a job back home or in the surrounding area, we would head back at the end of this school year. This was more than just a job offering for me - it was the chance to get back to the place I have and will always consider home. Needless to say, I was beyond thrilled and these next couple of months cannot go fast enough. While it will be sad to leave behind the wonderful teachers and students at my current school, I have a feeling that I'm really going to enjoy teaching at my new school.

Neither my parents nor my husband's parents knew that we were planning on coming back so soon. They were under the impression (we 'misled' them a bit) that my husband was still planning on going to law school, which would keep us away from them for at least another three years. At supper, we surprised them with the news of my new job, our plans of moving back, and the fact that we'd already been looking at houses during our weekend visits. The looks on their faces were priceless! It was so much fun giving them the good news. Now instead of blogging about wanting to move back, I can post about how great it is to be back!

SATURDAY
My husband and I began our day with my parents for breakfast at a local diner. My parents eat at this diner every Saturday morning, never varying their order. They are considered 'regulars' and the minute a waitress or cook sees them in the parking lot, their order is started. My dad can even tell which cook has made his omelet by the size and amount of ingredients. I shake my head at the two of them but I know my husband and I are headed down that same road.

After breakfast there was shopping, looking at a house we were interested in, then more shopping. Errands were finished and then we had time to relax once again. I'm not sure what my husband did with his time, but I got in a nice nap. I love napping on my parents sofa in their warm, sun-filled living room. Oddly enough, it's a place where I get some of my most restful sleep. I hope I have a living room like that in my own home.

Our families met up for a supper of pizza and then an evening spent playing a game of 'Mexican Train Dominoes' and 'Finish Lines.' Like usual, the men won both games and the mothers enjoyed the wine a little too much. There were interesting stories told (both the mothers happened to have a tale that centered around bowel movements) that left us all in side-stitches and tear-filled eyes from the laughter. I cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard.

It was a very fun evening, as all evenings are with our families. We definitely know how to have fun - life is never less than interesting.

SUNDAY
While it's normally hard for me to say goodbye to our families and hometown, today wasn't as tough knowing I will be back there shortly. Knowing that soon I will not have to make the long drive away from the ones I love so very much is a wonderful feeling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new job! I am so happy that you both are getting what you have been wanting for so long. Let me know how the house search goes. :)

Anonymous said...

Got to love those moms!!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I AM SO HAPPY for you!!!