Thursday, April 10, 2008

69

It's amazing how a much one number can tell you about your students.

This week the number 69 came up in my 7th-grade math classes, my 8th-grade Algebra class, and my 9th-grade Algebra class. Here is the breakdown of reactions to the number:
  • 7th-grade: This number did not register with them as anything other than a number. The kids responded the same way they would have had I said 25, 81, or 104.
  • 8th-grade: Several boys looked at each other, whispered several words, then smiled and snickered. I shook my head at them and told them to stop. My husband said I should have asked them what was so funny. Perhaps I will try that next time I have a chance.
  • 9th-grade: They reacted very similar to the 7th-graders, not because they were unaware of the meaning behind the number, but because 69 is old news to them and no longer all that funny.

I knew it going into the profession, but I'm still surprised on a daily basis at how ridiculous students can be.

No comments: