Monday, November 12, 2007

Fam Jam

My parents and sister came east this weekend to visit my husband and me and my uncle came west to visit my cousins. We all met up for a family-filled weekend of fun.

Friday was pizza night. As to be expected, I was up way past my bedtime. Fun is always plentiful with family visits, but sleep is definitely not.

Saturday involved shopping, seeing a movie, playing Apples to Apples (I highly recommend this game, especially for large groups), dinner and drinks (and dessert, drinks, appetizers, drinks, and a few more drinks) at my parent's favorite restaurant, then a bar visit because there was not nearly enough alcohol consumed at the restaurant. My family really knows how to have a good time and I love that about them. I do not, however, love driving the mini-van needed to haul them around.

My favorite part of the evening was at the restaurant when my family got emotional and inspired (I think this occurred around the same time the alcohol took effect - could there be a correlation?). During this time, we made a list of family goals to accomplish within the next few years. Everyone contributed a goal and the rest of the family agreed to do it with him/her. We had:

*Swim in every lake in Minnesota (lake is defined as anything that made it onto the map)

*Attend a SuperBowl

*Have a Fam-Jam session in which the family jams together musically and makes edible jam

*Attend an Olympics

*Complete a 720-hour MovieFest (720 straight hours of movie-watching)

*Run a marathon

*Bike 120 miles in two days

*Hike in the badlands of North Dakota

*Take the train to Whitefish, Montana and ski at Big Mountain

We're an ambitious group, huh? Can you tell which three goals were made by the sober people and which six were made by the drinkers? We're going to be pretty busy these next couple of years. The alcohol consumption will have to be limited for training purposes and, more importantly, so we don't come up with any more crazy plans to add to this list.

Families are great.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this list!!!! We're totally doing it for real!!!!

Kerri Farley said...

Sounds like lots of FUN!

...a taste of me said...

I love our family! I wish we could do that every weekend! Also, you are quite the trooper. I know how drunk people can be obnoxious (I'm usually that person!) and driving the van is scary! I can't wait until Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I really loved the weekend! It was fun doing a cheer for the guys when they were playing basketball. After all, I was a cheerleader in my younger day. Mollie has a way of making you want to do something you really wouldn't otherwise do. Just gotta get crazy once in a while!!

You and your husband are the greatest for putting up with all of us and welcoming us into your home. Thanks for driving us around too.

Gotta love our family. Lot's of crazy times we've had and many more to come!! I look forward to every one of them.

teacherwoman said...

I took the train to Whitefish from Grand Forks almost 2 years ago. Absolutely loved it! The sight of Glacier was beautiful and Whitefish was a blast! If you go there, there is a great restaurant named after the town that Elvis was born in (I can't remember it), but the food was wonderful!

Looks like a great family list! :)