Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking Back at 2009

At the beginning of the year (I still can't believe today is the last day of 2009!), I set several goals for myself. Let's see how I did.


Goal #1: Start a photography blog
Attempt failed. I had the blog ready to go but chickened out. I get nervous when it comes to my photography. I'm not worried about others liking my work, I'm worried about me liking it. As the blog became more real, I got concerned that I wouldn't like any of my work; I convinced myself that I wouldn't have any photos that were blog-worthy. I shied away from my camera and the learning process that comes with hobbies. Rather than dealing with the possibility of doing poorly, I didn't even bother trying. I know that attitude is silly because you don't grow or improve if you don't try; I also understand that not every photo I take is going to be ingenious or beautiful and that's how it goes for everyone. Knowing and accepting are two different things, however. So, while I may not have started a blog this year, I have learned a thing or two about acceptance and that is going to take me a long way on my photography journey. I'm not perfect, my work is not perfect, but photography is art and art is not meant to be perfect. Writing in Light will be up and running in 2010.

Goal #2: Complete one photography course
Success! During the summer I took an online photography class, focusing on photographing people. While I didn't find the photography techniques all that informative - the instruction was pretty basic and I already knew most of the information he had to share (apparently I knew more than I thought!)- I did learn quite a bit about Photoshop and how to edit my people photos. Those lessons were well worth my time and money.

Goal #3: Run one organized race
Success! While I had my sights set on a half-marathon, I ended up running a 5K instead. I'm excited to have one "official" race under my belt and look forward to completing more. Running new distances and breaking personal records is going to be a fun challenge.

Goal #4: Host one party
Success! We had several gatherings here and while they weren't what I had originally planned, I'm counting them! Mitch and I expect to be in this house for quite a while (read: forever), so there is still time to host those parties I had in mind.

Goal #5: Watch one movie on my list
Success! I actually watched a couple of movies on my list, but the film I deliberately set out to cross off the list was "Deliverance." Horrible, horrible movie. I also got to cross off "Changeling," which I highly recommend. I don't normally care for Angelina Jolie, but she did a wonderful job in this film and the story was incredible (and true!).

Goal #6: Read one novel on my list
Success! I actually read several books on my list, but the novel I deliberately set out to cross of the list was "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." AMAZING book. Other great reads of the year: "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult.

Goal #7: Read one book series on my list
Success! I read the Twilight series. I know this series is all the craze right now, but I honestly do not understand why. I do not recommend the books - in fact, if you asked for my opinion I would tell you to stay far, far away from them. Ugh!

Goal #8: Read one instructional book on my list
Attempt failed. I checked the book out a handful of times from the library but only got a page or two into it before I got distracted with other things and then before I knew it, it was time for the book to go back. I will tackle that book in the near future.

Goal #9: Celebrate 25 days of Christmas
Success! I definitely had the Christmas bug this year! I just wish I would have documented each day. I guess that's something I can challenge myself with next year.


There you have it, folks. While I may not have accomplished everything I set out to do, I'm happy with what I did achieve. I'm calling the year a success! 2009 was a good year and I don't doubt that 2010 will be even better!

Have a safe and happy New Year's Eve!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

well, you did pretty well on that list!! good job and i am looking forward to seeing your photo blog, should you choose to share it with the general public. ;)

happy new year, holly. youre a truly great blogfriend.

teacherwoman said...

You had a great year! I look forward to seeing what's in store for 2010...and following your photography blog!

Karen said...

That's a pretty high success rate! Way to go! Also, I totally agree with you on #7. Only read the first one. Bleck.

amber said...

You rocked your goal list!

I totally agree with you on the Twilight books. I haven't read ONE and I never, never plan to.