Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday Medley

  • Last week my husband and I received an updated copy of our house plans. The house was exactly as we wanted it, down to the smallest detail, only it was a mirror image of the house we had discussed. We asked about this change and were told that due to the slope of our lot, the house had to be flipped. Well, I'm what you could call "particular" so this little situation is throwing me for a loop. I was picturing our house one way and now I have to change my whole way of thinking. At first I was upset (I realize it shouldn't make a difference), but now I'm just concerned. I don't think I have the brain power to redo my visions!
  • "The Kite Runner" left me speechless. I can't even begin to describe how amazing I found this novel to be. I can't remember the last time I read something so beautiful, so heartbreaking and moving. I watched the movie over the weekend and while I knew going into it that it wouldn't, and couldn't, do the novel justice, I was still disappointed. Apparently there was a tiny bit of hope lingering in the back of my heart. There was no way the true beauty of this story could have been expressed on film, but I think they did their best.
  • In other books news, I'm about halfway through "Nickel and Dimed" and I'm not sure I can continue. I hit a page in which the author lost my respect and I don't think I can take the rest of the book seriously. I'm trying to tell myself that this small detail doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of the book, but it's been difficult. I hate not finishing books, so perhaps I will mull over my situation for a day or two and read something else in the meantime.
  • I had a dentist appointment this morning and while I could list dozens and dozens of reason why I hate these visits, I will focus on just one from that list. Assumptions. My dentist informed me today that I should think about having a crown put on in the near future. He told me the sooner the better since they've noticed that when women have children, they don't make it in as often because of their busy schedules. I never told my dentist I was planning on having children. Why is it that people equate marriage with children? Just because you marry does not mean you want kids. My husband and I want kids, but there are plenty of couples that do not want children or cannot have children. How did my dentist know that I didn't fall into either of those categories? I hate assumptions. Plus, the topic of having a family is quite personal and should be left out of chit-chat at the dentist office.

2 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear you liked the Kite Runner. Like I said, check out A Thousand Splendid Suns!

Sounds like the mirror image of your house has left you feeling a bit out of sorts. Just think, it's still the same house you guys had planned out! I am sure you will still love it when it is finished!

Anonymous said...

I agree with teacherwoman, you need to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. I think that I even liked it better than The Kite Runner.

I have a lot of friends that feel the same way about you about marriage and then children. When you are dating it's, "Okay, when are you getting married."

Then it's,"Okay when are you having children."

I can see how that would be annoying because I get the marriage question all the time.

I am not planning on having kids. I am more of an animal person.