Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mowing for the County

This morning I took a little road trip out to my new school to get the textbooks and other resources for my future classes. The material I'm heading into is actually going to involve some thinking on my part (gasp!), so lesson plans will actually take more than ten minutes (boo!). Needless to say, I wanted to get a jump start on things. I figured I'd try something new and be a productive person over the summer. Kudos to all of you who work year round!

Sixty miles later and a quarter tank less gas, I am no further along in getting ready for next year than I was this morning. The superintendent, who told me I could stop out any time, was obviously not ready for my visit. Not only did he not know which resources to give me, but he couldn't even locate some of the books I needed. He tried contacting the former math teacher, but apparently that gentleman was out "mowing for the county." Sounds like a great way to spend retirement! I don't think I will be going that route when I retire - only because I'm allergic to grass. Otherwise, I'd be all over that.

So, after having myself a couple of venting sessions, a 'Georgia Mud Fudge' Blizzard from Dairy Queen, and making my own phone call to the math teacher (I hope I left a message at the correct number!), I'm feeling much better. Hopefully things get worked out soon - I have to work with those productive vibes whenever I get them!

5 comments:

teacherwoman said...

How frustrating. I can only imagine. I hope they get things organized for you prior to school starting.

Unknown said...

you go girl! productivity! it was so fun seeing you today!!

Kerri Farley said...

It looks like it was a beautiful day for a drive, though! Sorry you didn't get the books you needed....but I'm sure it made a good impression that you are "on the ball"!

Anonymous said...

lol your grass comment was too funny! Here's to a productive summer. ;)

Liz Harrell said...

That's so frustrating! But good for you on the Mud Fudge thing... that sounds like heaven right now.

Thanks so much for leaving a comment yesterday, I really appreciate it!