Thursday, October 18, 2007

One or Two

Instead of enjoying my day off by sleeping in, I got up while still dark and ventured out in the pouring rain to have my eyes checked. It has been over a year (in fact, I think it's been several years) but more importantly, I am out of contacts and tired of wearing my glasses.

My appointment went well - my prescription remained nearly the same and the new pair of contacts I received was much more comfortable than the last brand I had been wearing. The doctor I saw, however, will never compare to the doctor I had back home. Despite the fact that she was very nice and had the largest degree I have ever seen (apparently Indiana likes to give out GIANT certificates), she didn't have the voice. My doctor back home had a magical way of saying "one or two" when asking you to tell her which line of letters was more clear. Anyone who has had this doctor will tell you her sing-song, happy voice makes the whole process quite enjoyable. You don't feel as if you're being examined by a doctor, but playing a game with a friend.

So, in my opinion, the thing to look for when choosing an optometrist would be the quality of his/her voice. Never mind the schooling and credentials - it's all about the "one or two."

1 comment:

Girl of Approval said...

In total agreement here. I've seen at least three to four other eye doctor's and none have the voice. Men are not even in the game on this one.

Did you look for new glasses? :o)