Sunday, July 1, 2007

Button Collectors

I saw my future. I saw myself in 60 years.

Yesterday, my cousin and I headed to a small town's 125th Anniversary celebration. It's hard to say if they will hit another monumental number. The town, as of the last census, had about 50 people. I'm willing to bet that most of those that are left (and I don't think it's 50) will not make it to another celebration. In any case, it was a very lovely afternoon with interesting people and great photo opportunities.

The main street was filled with old cars, the town fire truck, and numerous pieces of farm equipment. (I'd like you to find any small town in this state that doesn't show off it's farm equipment.) The one-room school house was open for viewing, as was a log cabin dating back to the 1800s. There was a small band performing, a butter churner churning, and a whittler whittling. One man was making rope, another selling his local honey and berries. There was a petting zoo consisting of one lonesome sheep. Ice cream cones, root beer floats, and lemonade were all being sold for a nickel. You can't go wrong with that price!

The best part of the afternoon was our visit to the old Catholic church. Inside there were dozens of beautiful quilts displayed and several pieces of old clothing from the late 1800's/early 1900's. Nothing, however, beat the experience I had of seeing my future. In the entryway of the church stood a little old lady with her button collection. Hundreds of buttons arranged by color, material, and design, all attached to cardboard for display. I could not believe my eyes.

I started collecting buttons several years ago. I find them so very cute and spunky! And of course, since they are so adorable, I must display them. That's where hot-gluing them onto the glass in picture frames comes in. I currently have six frames hanging up in my kitchen and several more to complete. So, as you can imagine, seeing this old lady with her display made me think of my own personal collection. Give me 60 more years, several inches off my height, and a hat topped with fake flowers and I will be that lady displaying my masterpieces in an old church! I can't wait to show off my creations and have people take their picture with me as if I've accomplished something amazing. Hearing the other old ladies tell me how beautiful my collection is and that they would never have the patience to do it is worth continuing on this path. Oh the places buttons can take you!

1 comment:

Girl of Approval said...

They will love you at the nursing home!