Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Timeline

A year ago today we got engaged. It feels like just yesterday that it happened. I feel old saying this, but time really does fly.

Mitch and I had a little game we played while we were dating. It involved me asking about the "timeline" and him refusing to tell me. We knew we were going to get married, and he knew when and how he was going to propose, but I had no clue about anything. As much as I asked, though, I didn't really want to know. I wanted the whole thing to be a surprise.

Last year, we headed to the North Dakota State Fair to see one our favorite artists, Keith Urban. We had seen him once before in concert and when we heard he was coming back to the state, we had to go again.

On Friday morning, we drove to Minot and set up camp at the local KOA. Of course, when I say "we" I mean Mitch worked on setting up the tent while I took pictures of him. After the tent was set up, we had lunch and then headed over to the fair. In my 25 years living in the state, I had never been to the State Fair so we spent a couple of hours walking around looking at the booths and taking in the events. One carnival worker tried to win Mitch's business by telling him he should win a stuffed animal for his wife. This of course prompted me to ask about the "timeline," to which Mitch just shrugged and said he couldn't tell me.

Several more hours were then spent waiting by the entry gates to the outdoor concert stadium. The concerts at the fair are on a "first come, first serve" basis, so we had to start our waiting early if we wanted a front row spot. It was in the upper 90s that day so it made waiting a little uncomfortable but definitely worth it. Once the gates opened, it was a mad dash to the front row spots. It was quite crazy, and remained that way (with pushing and shoving), until Keith came out. The concert went along as all concerts do until "Memories of Us" began playing.

When our song began, Mitch got my attention and asked, "Do you want to know the timeline?" He was being incredibly serious and it looked as if he as going to tell me. Before I could answer him with a "No, I don't really want to know," he pulled out the ring and said, "This is the timeline." I was so surprised - I had absolutely no idea it was coming! Of course I started crying (which, for some reason, I didn't think I'd do) and all I could do was nod my head when he officially asked if I would marry him. He put the ring on my finger and, without even looking at the ring, I gave him a hug! Needless to say, after the hug, I couldn't quit staring at my finger. The ring was perfect, everything I wanted it to be. As could be expected, the rest of the concert was a little bit of a blur to me.

The perfect end to a perfect evening involved us eating dinner (crackers and cheese for me, a sandwich for Mitch, all topped off with orange and lime jello cups) in his car in the grocery store's parking lot. It was such a memorable day that even a simple, seemingly unromantic supper, was wonderful. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Two weeks from today we will be married. It's hard to believe it's so close. It doesn't feel real yet. I cannot wait for the wedding - it's going to be wonderful celebrating with all our family and friends. More importantly, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with my best friend.

3 comments:

Girl of Approval said...

Couple of things...

I can't believe you'd never been to the fair before. How deprived!!

I am so glad you found your one and are happy. You seem right for each other where you aren't bending yourself to become something someone else wants (it seemed that way with Mike sometimes). I am very proud of you for being able to plan a wedding and keep things under control. You truly have grown as a person and become somewhat of a grown up (You get a somewhat, my dear, because I am not sure you'll ever fully be an adult, besides who wants to be).

I am excited about your wedding, about you and Mitch making it official and watching your relationship grow even more as you travel on together wherever life may take you.

Congratulations and may hapiness be the main theme in your marriage.

Also, I must admit I was surprised when you said you got engaged! Was not thinking that was come for a while, but I'm glad it did. You seem happier than you've ever been.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Read your story, that sounded really cool. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

awww. . . that is such a sweet story.

My friend got proposed to during a Keith Urban song.

I'm sure there are countless others too. I wonder if Keith knows about the power of his music. :)