Sunday, July 8, 2007

Dawn Dish Soap

Something smells of the old Dawn dish soap my family used to use. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm enjoying inhaling the scent. It's taking me back in time. Surprisingly, not to all the years I spent over the sink (and there were plenty!).

When my sister and I were younger, we used to accompany my father out to the field where he flew his remote-controlled airplanes. Many summer evenings were spent out at that land watching the little airplanes glide through the sky. In addition to the airplanes, my sister and I came up with all sorts of ways to entertain ourselves. Some evenings we played games in the back of my dad's truck, our favorite being the fishing game made just for us. With feet dangling over the back end, fishing poles in hand, we must have been a comical sight. Other evenings we rode our bikes along the dirt path that ran through the field. It's amazing how quickly a bike can transform into a horse when you're in the country! I honestly cannot remember a time when me and my sister didn't have fun out there. Even the ride home was fun, with our stop at McDonald's for cookies and ice cream.

After a day of flying, my dad would meticulously clean off his planes with a mixture of water and Dawn dish soap. I can still see the old spray bottle filled with the pretty blue mixture. I can still hear the sound of the paper towels on the airplane wings.

My sister and I need to go out with my dad again soon. It's been too long.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I always love how smells can literally take you back to a specific day. Isn't it wonderful how our senses weaveed together so intimately?

Love your blog. Thanks so much for coming and seeing my blog and your thoughtful comments. My mom loved what you wrote! Hehehe. My blog started as a way to find the beauty around me and I have been so amazed at how it has lifted my spirit and even introduced me to new friends in BlogLand.

So in a nutshell, nice to "meet" you! :)

Girl of Approval said...

I do not have the ability to smell much of anything these days, a fact for which I am grateful some days and most disgusted with most days.

Being near Simplot makes me realize that my nose is not gone enough, but hearing what other people describe makes me envious.