Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Trying to Find the Perfect Bar

Christmas 2009 featured The Best Dip Contest.

There were a lot of wonderful entries and the competition was fierce. My family is made up of incredible cooks and bakers (obviously I don't fit in) so it was a hard decision to make.


The winning dip was a corn dish made by my cousin Grace (which unfortunately I didn't try). We are so serious about our competitions that we even have a crowning ceremony!


Christmas 2010 is scheduled to be The Best Bar Contest. Now, I'm not looking to win this competition (it seems like an impossible task), but I would like to give the other participants a run for their money. Problem is, I have yet to find the perfect recipe. While there are many bars out there that sound delicious, they just won't be able to compete with the desserts my family is capable of creating. This is definitely a strong area for many of my aunts.

So, my dear, sweet blog friends: help me find an amazing bar recipe. I have about two months to prepare (and we all know I'll need it), so start sending me your ideas!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Ok... I seriously want you to win this one! But why did they choose BARS? I never make bars! Does setting up a selection of alcohol count? (that's what I thought you meant at first... well the best drink anyway!)

So let me mull this around in my little brain for a while and I'll see if I can find anything. Good luck!

Karen said...

So I just remembered the best recipe! Key Lime Bars! You can read my review of them under the user "Pismo."

http://www.food.com/recipe/key-lime-bars-177945

I'm not sure if brownies count as bars in this contest, but if they do, try these "Whatever Floats Your Boat Brownies." The best I've found by far!

http://www.food.com/recipe/whatever-floats-your-boat-brownies-32204

teacherwoman said...

A little Salty... a little sweet! TRY THIS. SUPER EASY!

Peanut Butter/Caramel Fritos

Ingredients:
1 c. white sugar
1 c. light Karo syrup
1 c. peanut butter
1 bag (13 oz.) Fritos
½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (miniature)

Directions:
Boil white sugar with Karo syrup. In a different container combine sugar/Karo syrup mixture and peanut butter. Spread Fritos out on a cookie sheet. Drizzle mixture over Fritos. Top with chocolate chips.

You can probably cut them like bars! :)

teacherwoman said...

Or.. this is another good easy one!

Cream Cheese Bars

Ingredients:
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
3 eggs
½ c. melted butter/margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese (softened)
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1 c. powdered sugar

Directions:
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Grease and flour a 10x15 inch pan.
• Mix cake mix, 1 egg, and melted butter. Press mixture into pan.
• In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, 2 eggs, powdered sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Pour mixture on top of cake mixture.
• Bake for 15 minutes.
• Then, reduce temperature to 300 degrees and bake for another 30-35 minutes.
• Cool before cutting into squares, or it will be messy!

Caity said...

Ooh food contests are so much fun. We had a pie contest and a cookie contest where I worked last year and it was so much fun.