Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Honeymoon Day 5

On the fifth day of our honeymoon, my husband and I visited the USS Arizona Memorial and toured the USS Missouri Battleship in Pearl Harbor. While I am not a big history buff, it was great experience getting to visit these two sites. It's amazing how "real" textbook words can become when you have the opportunity to visit historical places.

At the USS Arizona Memorial visitor center we were shown a short film about the events leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor and the attack itself, then we boarded a boat and rode over to the Memorial. The mood at the Memorial was somber and quiet, people speaking only in whispers out of respect for those whose graves lay below us. Visiting these places really makes you think about those who serve our country, past and present. We are all very lucky to have them.

After we visited the Memorial, my husband and I toured the USS Missouri Battleship. The tour was very interesting (my husband should be writing this post as he could tell you all sorts of things about the machinery and weapons that I can't remember) - I still can't believe that we stood in the very spot where Japan surrendered, ending World War II.









1 comment:

Kerri Farley said...

Wow...What an experience!
Thanks for sharing it!