Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Commas

Today my 7th-grade math classes began working on converting customary units. One of the examples I gave on the board was
2 miles = ____ feet. Well, we worked through the problem and got 10,560. After I was done with the example, one of my students (probably the smartest 7th-grader I have) asked, "Do we have to put a comma in the answer?" WHAT?! No, of course not - commas aren't important in math. While we're at it, why don't we throw out decimal points, too?

1 comment:

Kerri Farley said...

Ah, the dreaded comma! I wonder if he would ask his English Teacher that question too, (hee hee hee)

Hope you are doing well with adjusting back to school life!

You teachers are very special people who don't get a lot of praise....so just thought I would let you know that I appreciate what you are doing...trying to mould those young minds :)