Tuesday, December 27, 2016

101 in 1001, Round 2 - Update 9

One of the goals on my 101 in 1001 list was to read one Christmas novel each Christmas season of the challenge.  Last year I read A Christmas Blizzard by Garrison Keillor and this year I read A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg.


Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known as Lost River, a place that time itself seems to have forgotten. After a startling diagnosis from his doctor, Oswald T. Campbell leaves behind the cold and damp of the oncoming Chicago winter to spend what he believes will be his last Christmas in the warm and welcoming town of Lost River. There he meets the postman who delivers mail by boat, the store owner who nurses a broken heart, the ladies of the Mystic Order of the Royal Polka Dots Secret Society, who do clandestine good works. And he meets a little redbird named Jack, who is at the center of this tale of a magical Christmas when something so amazing happened that those who witnessed it have never forgotten it.


I love Flagg's novels; while predictable, they are also charming and uplifting and A Redbird Christmas was no exception.  It was a novel full of sweet characters and a lovely setting, however, the read just wasn't Christmasy enough for me (that's not to say that I'm not glad I didn't read this book because I never feel like I've wasted time in Flagg's worlds).  I haven't read many Christmas novels in my reading career so I'm not sure if they don't translate like movies but I plan to continue reading more in future holiday seasons.

No comments: